Old 16-08-2003, 10:42 AM
Chris Owens

Default wintering over potatoes

Rob Dougan wrote:

I'm moving to the eastern edge of central Massachusetts. Is it
possible to winter over potatoes here, and if so how is it done? How
well do the potatoes
produce when wintered over? I've heard that wintered potatoes produce
only
small spuds. They grow to a small size and stay that way. If that's
so, does anyone have any ideas that might increase the spud's size?
Having small new potatoes during winter isn't such a bad idea, though,
as long as there's enough.

Potatoes aren't frost-hardy. You can't winter-over the vines;
any potatoes left in the ground will turn into black, slimy goo.
If you want to save seed potatoes from your harvest each year,
store them in a cool, dry place, the same way you'd store
potatoes you're planning on eating. In spring, after the last
frost, cut the seed potatoes into eyes, dust the cut surfaces
with sulphur powder, and plant in your hills. The size of
potatoes you'll get out of the hills depends on the variety you
grow and the length of your growing season . . . the longer the
season, the bigger the taters.

Chris Owens