Old 16-08-2003, 11:32 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Default wintering over potatoes

Rob Dougan said:

I'm moving to the eastern edge of central Massachusetts. Is it
possible to winter over potatoes here, and if so how is it done? How
well do the potatoes produce when wintered over?

You can winter over undug potatoes by putting a *very* thick layer of straw
over them after the vines have died back. They won't grow, but will stay
fresh in the ground and can be dug well into the winter by pulling back the
straw. The biggest threat to your over wintering potatoes will be mice and voles.

Potatoes that escape being dug up and make it through to spring will sprout
and grow. The one's I've missed from last year and transplant into my new
potato area seem to produce just as well as freshly planted seed potatoes.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)