Old 16-08-2003, 01:02 PM
Barbara

Default Canna lily advice needed

Bushy wrote:
seeing their Cannas looking poorly... I shall relax and let nature
take its course

Might as well, I've had cannas growing for years beside my water tank
where they get plenty of water year round, and a big drink each week
when I pump from the well up to the house and overflow the tank. I've
pulled them out of the ground at all sorts of places and planted them
at home with a range of different colours etc. The red ones seem to
do better than the rest here in the clay soil and Toowoomba type
weather that ranges from hot summers to cold frosty winters. In
winter they do die back, and a trim with the lawnmower does them
proud when they start to shoot back in spring. Even if I forget to
hit them with the mower, the cows eat them just after they flower.

They like plenty of water and sunshine. Some of the best examples are
planted near leaky taps.

:-)

As a child, we always called them Lav flowers, as they always seemed to grow
best around the old outhouse.