Old 16-08-2003, 01:32 PM
Graham Dixon

Default RAGWORT

I'ts the beautiful Cinnabar Moth (not the Garden Tiger) whose
caterpillars feed on Ragwort.

Ragwort is the national flower of the Isle of Man.

Cattle and Horses do not eat Ragwort - they eat round it - the danger lies
in modern agricultural methods where the (very toxic) plant is cut and dried
and either silaged or bailed with grass and then fed to the animals.

The Caterpillars of the Cinnabar moth are toxic too. They - like the plant
contain Cyanide.

We don't kill Foxgloves which are just as dangerous - but because these
don't grow on pastureland (they tend to be hedge bottom plants) they don't
get mixed in with the hay.

If we eradicate Ragwort - then we lose one of our most attractive day-flying
moths.

Let's use some common sense

Graham Dixon