Old 16-08-2003, 01:42 PM
Stephen Howard

Default RAGWORT

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 11:50:59 +0100, "Ron"
wrote:

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message

Please would you all check your lawns for ragwort, I know it is a time
consuming job but it is a bad year for the nasty weed.

Snip

I trust that you do not use broad band insecticides.

One explanation for the increase in ragwort is most likely the reduction in
the tiger moth population for their caterpillars eat the weed and I've seen
a patch of ragwort plants stripped of their foliage in less than a day. No
grazing animal would think of eating it then for the smell of the
caterpillars' faeces would put them off!.

I hope that some ragwort is left for the moths.

No shortage of Cinnabar moths in my garden!
I have a couple of patches of very dismal looking ragwort which are
infested with the bright orange and black striped caterpillars - they
really go to town on the plant.

I remove the flower heads as they form - this prevents the ragwort
from seeding ( which is generally agreed to be 'a bad thing' ), and I
rip the whole plant up, or what's left of it, when the caterpillars
have finished with it.

OK, so it's a bit more hassle than a 'nuke on sight' policy - but one
that helps to retain a nice balance ( at least in my garden ).

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk