Old 16-08-2003, 06:12 PM
Unique Too

Default few flowers this year--why?

(susan thomas) writes:

Visited a friend today in NE Ohio who was unhappy that his roses had
bloomed so sparsely this year. I don't know what variety they are,
sorry. The plants are quite large and have been trained on a trellis
to meet and arch overhead; the plants are at least 8 feet tall and a
few years old. There is much green new growth as well as woody growth
from previous years on large stems; many stems are 1" in diameter. I
thought the plants might be putting too much energy into stem and leaf
growth to produce too many blooms. Any other thoughts?

Weather? If NE Ohio is like the rest of the country, they have had unusual
weather this year, either hot, cool, wet, dry or any combination to the extreme
of normal.
If the plant looks healthy I wouldn't worry about it too much this year. If it
continues to lack blooms next year, there may be other symtoms by then that
might point to a cause.

Julie