Old 16-08-2003, 08:02 PM
Simon Avery

Default RAGWORT

"Graham Dixon" wrote:

Hello Graham

GD Cattle and Horses do not eat Ragwort - they eat round it -
GD the danger lies in modern agricultural methods where the
GD (very toxic) plant is cut and dried and either silaged or
GD bailed with grass and then fed to the animals.

Modern? Hay's been feed to farm animals for thousands of years, and
even before modern baling ragwort was a huge problem.

GD If we eradicate Ragwort - then we lose one of our most
GD attractive day-flying moths.

Oh gawd, another "cats" debate. TBH, I'd be happier to lose a species
of moth that I don't see anyway, than to have to destroy another
perfectly good horse or cow because it's in incredible pain.

Sadly, Ragwort will always be with us. The motorway embankments, just
like the trains, provide uncontrolled corridors for it to continue
spreading.