Old 16-08-2003, 11:12 PM
Karen Fletcher

Default Bunches o' Butterfly Bush Questions

wrote:
: In , on 08/15/03
: at 08:59 AM, Chris Owens said:

:Butterfly bushes are herbaceous, and you aren't going to get reblooming
:on the cut stem, so I just always whack them back all the way to the
:ground. It seems to encourage new growth, and keep the bush from getting
:leggy.

Butterfly bushes are woody shrubs, but, depending on the variety, they may
not be a top-hardy in colder climates. I have found that above-ground
survival and how long they take to 'wake up' is related to the severity of
the winter and whether they are in a sheltered spot or not.

Some species are quite hardy, for instance, Buddleia alternifolia. My
one-year-old plant made it through a nasty, long Zone 5 winter without so
much as a dead twig and was leafing out and blooming well before other
Buddleias were showing signs of life. You could say it came through the
winter with flying colors ;-)

Cheers!

-- Karen

The Garden Gate
http://garden-gate.prairienet.org
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
^and cats -- Cicero
On the Web since 1994 Forbes Best of Web 2002