Old 16-08-2003, 11:13 PM
Mark. Gooley

Default New Dawn on East Coast

"Eileen in New Jersey" wrote:
Hi. I am new to the group. I recently planted a New Dawn.
It already has at least 7-8 canes on the plant, but no blooms!
Should I just be patient?

Mine is just blooming now...well, the one still in the pot; the one
in the ground, planted next to a tree in the hope it would climb
into the tree's branches, has not bloomed at all this year. My
potted one I bought on the cheap on a closeout deal from Wayside
Gardens late this spring (yeah, yeah, not the best source, probably
on bad rootstock for this region, but they were marked down, some
by 3/4 and many 2/3, and I couldn't resist: also picked up a mess
of Romanticas and Austins that way. We're talking bare-root roses
refrigerated for too long, arriving here in North Florida in late May
and early June. I potted them up and kept them in the shade until
they leafed out, and I think that only one has died so far, that from
being planted in too-wet ground).

It hasn't been really sunny here in New Jersey. It's rained for
the most part of three weeks. I just don't see any buds at all.
My tea and floribundas are finally starting to bloom, after a
three week break.

Sunny here in North Florida, zone 8b, but with spells of heavy
rain lasting from several days to a week from May until now --
and a couple of week-plus droughts. I'd just wait for your New
Dawn; maybe it just wants more sun.

Mark.