Old 17-08-2003, 01:32 AM
Cybe R. Wizard

Default OT virus

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 10:30:45 -0400
"BenignVanilla" wrote:

I won't engage the MS sucks, Linux is great topic, as I think they are
both great, and both have a place. I will say however, that if we put
Linux on 90% of the desktops in the world, we'd be reading about the
latest virus to hit linux. Any system can be compromised. The
statistics are just a bit skewed because we have so many winders
systems out there.

BV.

Yes, there's a place for numerous OSs and they each have their strengths
and weaknesses. That said, there will never be as many exploits for
*nix (whatever type or version) just because it's so danged hard to
compromise the system. Unix (and therefore all Unix clones) was built
from the ground up to be a secure networking system, not a stand-alone
personal computing environment. Microsoft, OTOH, was designed to be a
stand-alone unit for personal use, not tied to other computers. The
internet came along as a surprise phenomenon and Windows has been trying
to adapt their technology to that ever since. They have come a long way
with Windows XP, I understand, toward stability and interoperability,
but still lag behind in security.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Unofficial "Wizard of Odds," A.H.P.