Old 17-08-2003, 09:47 AM
martin

Default Shelf liife of rooting hormone

On 17 Aug 2003 01:36:03 -0700, (Mike Lyle)
wrote:

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message ...
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
om...
"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

There has been some nonsense spoken in this ng about the putative shelf

life
of rooting hormones.
The following URL sets the record quite straight, quite unambiguously

and
without prevarication:

http://www.pbi.co.uk/faq1.asp?productid=9
[...]

That URL is also the one which suggests you should use a rooting
hormone for fuchsia and geranium (I assume = pelargonium) cuttings:
among the very easiest plants to propagate at almost any time of year.
Not my first port of call as a source of objective horticultural
information. Anybody who uses that kind of sales talk is a con-man,
and a gardener of Franz's experience knows it.

Yes. The fact that they are trying to sell the stuff does not detract from
the clarity of the statement vis-a-vis the shelf life. They are unlikely to
be so clear about it if it was a lie. They would be taken to court sooner
or later if the statement was untrue or misleading.

This is probably right; but I'd still be inclined to replace the stuff
every year, as I couldn't guarantee the proper storage conditions (I
know you've already mentioned this). A more shameless company would, I
suppose on reflection, recommend this.

I have never seen such a recommendation on any product with a
specified shelf life. Isn't it implicit?
Take the contents of our fridge for instance :-)
--
Martin