Old 17-08-2003, 01:02 PM
Neil Jones

Default RAGWORT

(Simon Avery) wrote in message ...
"Ron" wrote:

Hello Ron

R I trust that you do not use broad band insecticides.

We don't, yet it continues to flourish everywhere. Clear a field one
year either digging or catching early with spot-on, it's back the
next.

R One explanation for the increase in ragwort is most likely
R the reduction in the tiger moth population for their
R caterpillars eat the weed and I've seen a patch of ragwort
R plants stripped of their foliage in less than a day.
R No grazing animal would think of eating it then for the
R smell of the caterpillars' faeces would put them off!.

Actually, horses and cattle won't usually eat it while it's still
alive. It's when it's dead, or baled that it becomes a killer. Having
had several horses die from it, and some who are dying of it (I work
for an equine charity) I loathe it more than most. It's also poisonous
to humans, if you pick or handle it without gloves, it'll get into
your system (after causing burns on sensitive skins) and leads to
progressive liver failure.

This is not a plant you want to allow to grow.

Sadly there's a lot of ignorance about it, I've even been harangued by
a rambler when culling it that "It's illegal to pick wild flowers you
know!"

R I hope that some ragwort is left for the moths.

It's illegal to allow it to grow on your land. (Most county bylaws
specifically mention ragwort as a notifiable weed.)

This is incorrect it is NOT illegal to allow ragwort to grow on your land.
--
Neil Jones-
http://www.butterflyguy.com/