Old 17-08-2003, 04:02 PM
Phisherman

Default groundhogs and tomatoes

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 08:44:02 -0400, "BT" wrote:

Will groundhogs eat tomatoes? So far this new occupant of our back yard is just
nibbling on plantain, dandelions, and wild strawberry leaves. The tomatoes are
starting to ripen fast...will the groundhog become interested? Never had any
previous experience with this critter in my garden.

BT

The groundhogs were a big problem in our garden until we put up an
electric fence. They can and will climb a 4 foot chicken wire fence.
I baited a Hav-A-Hart trap with apple, but I kept catching possums and
squirrels, not groundhogs. I would not mind so much if they took a
few tomatoes, but the groundhogs would take a bite out of EACH tomato.
Tomatoes are growing exceptionally well this year, with all the rain.