Old 17-08-2003, 07:32 PM
Sue Walsh

Default Thousands of Snails

We got an additiona filter up and running and finally it happened, I
can see the bottom of my pond (not gin clear, still greenish water,
but I can see the fish!!!) So that's great, terrific!!!

Had 3 days of celebration over this great event. Hubby and I would go
out and watch the fish together. Day four hubby comes in and says,
"come out and look, we have a problem". In my 22' stream every rock
and pebble is covered with baby garden snails, not a few or a hundred
but thousands, like pepper all over the waterfall and stream bed!

Now I know some snails are good guys, and I'm not sure if these are
good guys or bad guys, but by the thousands, that can't be very good,
can it? These are small coiled black shelled type. Right now about
the 1/3 the size of the top of a pencil eraser.

Anyone know what kind these are, good or bad? Is this a problem or a
blessing?

Thoughts, ideas, what sould I do? Remember I said thousands and I'm
not over estimating.

Sue W