Old 17-08-2003, 09:36 PM
Jim W

Default Micro propagation

Mark Fawcett wrote:

Does any one have any info on plant micropropagation? Its something
Ive wanted to try out particularily on some plants that i would like
to rapidly increase the numbers of as I want to start my own nursery
next year - I cant face the thought of working in an office at my desk
until Im dead or retired !!
Life has to be better than that %)

http://tinyurl.com/kao4
http://tinyurl.com/kaoj

Try also searching for Plants 'in vitro' in vitro propagation and plant
tissue culture.

Most nurseries microprop is carried out by contract services of which
there are a number in the UK. Inc at some Horticultural colleges as well
as the private sector.

1) it is possible to do it on a bdget but this would be hobbyists
microprop not equivalent to commervial setups.

2) Commercial microprop is initially expensive. A laminar flow cabinet
is gonna set you back from a few grand upwards. Then you have
incubators, consumables and lab equipment. Plus space for weaning and
growing on. You ideally need to be taught lab techniques and protocol
and practise as well for safe use and storage of chemicals. (such as
peroxide and mercurious chloride, both of which are toxic and have a
knowledge of your relavent COSHH etc.)

Also the actual practise of microprop is mind numbingly boring IMO!-)

Try visiting 4OAKS
www.fouroaks-tradeshow.com
(which may give you an idea of commercial Horticulture, and point you
in the direction of some training perhaps) this year or search for
Micropropagation Services on the web. Tickets for fouroaks are free
ususally.

As others have said you may be better looking at traditional propagation
methods such as benching with fogging or misting. Or rooting under semi
opaque sheeting (recomended for conifers I believe) The 'Grower' Manual
series is particularly good in this respect.

//
Jim