Old 18-08-2003, 01:13 AM
John Savage

Default POSSUM deterrent ideas requested

"JWSM" writes:
Thanks John... don't know about the teddy bear, but would probably wake to
find fluff everywhere. Is sure to be a one sided battle that one.

Didn't I mention the concealed detonator? :-)

Recall that the main predator of possums is the powerful owl--a very
large native owl. Well, an owl sitting in a tree does look very "wooden"
doesn't it? And as we learnt on Burkes Backyard last Friday, one can
purchase a large wooden owl in any good chandlery (boating store) where
such owls are sold to yacht owners to deter the seagulls from roosting
aloft. Might work. $60 I think they said, but the frugal way would be
to carve your own (download a pic from the net, and when you are finished
the carving glue on some feathers from a roadkill). I noticed just such a
kill last week here in a suburban street; twas an owl, towooooo.