Old 18-08-2003, 03:03 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Default Son found one of this yr.'s baby toads...

The snake won't like the toads. They secrete bad tasting stuff when
bothered. I don't know if the little guys are good at it, tho'.

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per jogger) at:
www.jogathon.net
See our pond at: http://www.home.bellsouth.net/p/pwp-jameshurley
"Barbara2245" wrote in message
om...
jammer wrote in message

. ..
On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 06:14:05 -0500, "Phyllis and Jim Hurley"
wrote:

Hi Jammer,

Glad you found one. We see toads of all sizes all over the place.

They are
in the plants, garden, etc. I am sad to say that I think a bunch of

them
have paid the ultimate price when our riding mower does the grass.

Maybe
they are mostly hiding at mowing time....

Whatever happens for the mowing, we produce thousands each year. The

toads
and green tree frogs are the most common here. They breed all summer.

May you see many sizes as the years go by.

Jim

Thanks, Jim...saw another one last night that was maybe a yr or two
old. I hadn't seen him before either. And my son was mowing when the
teeny one jumped out to commit suicide but was saved before that could
happen.

The toadpoles have morphed into 1/4" and 1/2" little toads all over
the lawn. I hope I haven't step on any. Which means the garter snake
will be around the back of the house. The other day he was hiding
under the hostas in the front of the house. He's the reason my dog
thinks every stem and stick is a snake which results in her jumping
straight up in the air. Happy water gardening.