Old 18-08-2003, 12:42 PM
Pat Meadows

Default Chicken Wire Help

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 20:32:12 GMT, "Kathy"
wrote:

Thanks Pat - There are no other critters in the yard. Our 4 pound 14 year
old chihuahua won't bother the chicken wire. Thanks for the suggestion about
getting the 1"mesh, I never thought about the babies getting through the 2"
mesh. This is a project for tomorrow for sure. What did you use as stakes
to hold it up? Did you bury it at all in the ground. I am hopeing it will
just upset them enough to ignore trying to get in any other way.

Yes, the last thing you want is a baby rabbit trapped in
your garden and getting frantic...

We've used two kinds of stakes (at different times) -

* small wooden stakes - bought from a lumberyard, I don't
know what they're called. I didn't buy them myself. Then
you can just staple the chicken wire to them.

* metal posts intended for woven wire fencing - you can use
a bit of wire to fasten the chicken wire to these. There
are more permanent of course.

I've never buried it.

In my experience, rabbits have never dug under fences. This
is in the northeastern USA, maybe there are rabbits more
inclined to dig elsewhere.

With my luck, since I've posted this, I suppose lots of
people will pop up like ...ahem....rabbits and say that mad
hordes of crazed bunnies are digging under their garden
fences at this very moment!! g But it's never happened in
my experience.

Pat