Old 18-08-2003, 12:42 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default RAGWORT

In article ,
"ned" writes:

| 'Not sure I follow that argument but by the same reasoning,
| '.... not many peeps on this group' will recognise ragwort induced
| liver failure but most will recognise grass. ;-)
|
| It is certainly the responsibility of horse owners to ensure that
| THEIR grazing is ragwort free and that their bought in hay comes from
| a reputable, trustworthy source. It is not the responsibility of the
| entire nation to reduce the biodiversity of the country just so that a
| minority section of the populace can sleep easier in their beds.

I fully agree. It is unclear how much of a danger it really is,
anyway, and the issue is OXFORD ragwort not the native species!

| How many child deaths occur from the consumption of poisonous
| berries? Yet do we see campaigns to eradicate deadly nightshade,
| foxglove, laburnam, ivy, etc., etc.

God help us, we do. Not just against giant hogweed, but against
yew hedges - evidently by idiots who regard Hamlet as a toxicological
reference. Perhaps BECAUSE there are virtually no deaths - people
always fear the unknown.

| Let's just keep the problem in perspective.

We may be able to, but it is unlikely that the press, politicians
botanically ignorant public (99%) and bureaucrats will.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.