Old 18-08-2003, 02:22 PM
Frogleg

Default Chicken Wire Help

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 21:00:08 -0400, "Bob Provencher"
wrote:

"Kathy" wrote

Thanks Pat - There are no other critters in the yard. Our 4 pound 14 year
old chihuahua won't bother the chicken wire. Thanks for the suggestion

about
getting the 1"mesh, I never thought about the babies getting through the

2"
mesh. This is a project for tomorrow for sure. What did you use as stakes
to hold it up? Did you bury it at all in the ground. I am hopeing it will
just upset them enough to ignore trying to get in any other way.

You might want to get higher - 4' or so and bury it down a foot or so. If
the rabbits are hungry enough they'll just burrow under the fence.

The latest I read (my new gardening book!) says to bury the fence at
least 4", although I've read previously that a foot was required. The
point is that they *will* dig if you plant green beans on the other
side of the fence. :-) Also, you don't need much more than 2' above
ground. As for mesh size, isn't there some 'rule' about critters
being able to get through any gap that's as big as their head
(sideways)? 2" mesh would *definitely* admit a small rabbit.