Old 18-08-2003, 04:07 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Default Ebenaceae, the ebony family

Anke schreef
Hello,

I am a PhD-student in biology and am currently working on Ebenaceae.
This plant family produces a vast amount of the famous ebony wood
and is known for its delicious fruits (the persimmon, the kaki, the
mabolo, etc...). The main purpose of my research is to determine the
relationships between the different species of this family. Some wood
research is also perhaps included. I would like to apply for a
scholarship and would therefore like to find more concrete economic
uses and commercial benefits of this research.
And that's why I am writing to this discussion group. I am looking
for people who are interested in this research. Please let me know!
More details will follow later.

+ + +
This is an interesting enough project, but the only commercially important
question I am aware of is why plantation grown ebony won't turn black.

Anyway, Leuven should be as rich a spot as any in the world for turning up
information?
PvR