Old 18-08-2003, 04:42 PM
D Kat

Default New (soft of) pond pics

Very nice. I especially like the falls.

My favorite plants for the shade are hostas, astilbe and ferns. They all
come in a wide variety of size which would give you depth and height to the
area without overwhelming it and covering the falls as might happen with
azaleas or other shrubs. The astilbe come in 4 basic colors (lavender,
pink, red and white). The hostas have a wide variety of shapes and colors
(green, blue, cream and white, yellow, etc.). Some Hostas have very
beautiful flowers as well. Even though variegated vinca is really pretty
and I would normally recommend it as a ground cover for the shade you might
want to stay away from anything that has vining characteristics as it might
again take over the area and detract from the falls. I like shade gardening
a lot. There are many places on the net where you can get ideas. As I said
those are my favorites but there are a great many more plants out there.

The only concern I have about the pond design is that the flowers from the
cherry are overwhelming in the spring. I would recommend getting a fine
netting to put over the pond during this time of year. That should make it
possible to keep cleanup manageable and you really only have to worry about
it for about 2 weeks.

Again, very nice. Thanks for sharing. DKat

"Axolotl" wrote in message
. 130...
I have posted some pictures of my pond on my personal web site at
http://www3.sympatico.ca/b1wmah56
I would appreciate comments on improvements, things I've done wrong, etc.
TIA
ANO