Old 18-08-2003, 05:02 PM
Susan H. Simko

Default New Anti-vole Weapon!

Shiva wrote:

Aha! I had no idea. As for JDC's comment, I wonder why nature is keeping
her books balanced in favor of a vole infestation here? My love of mulch,
perhaps? The fact that there were big spongy mole tunnels here a few years
ago, perfect for voles to move into? Also, why the heck doesn't the SUPER
TOXIC TERRIBLE Orthenex I used for four years cause them to at least
SPIT OUT the roots? Its detractors tell me it kills everything that consumes
it and worse, so how come my voles seem to think it is salad dressing?
The way they are breeding, it appears to be good for them.

I've used orthenex, but like you, use it very carefully. I spray on
windless days, in the evening to minimize the incidental insect kills.
So far, this means I've only got to spray twice this year. *sigh* As
to why the damned voles treat the orthenex like a good exotic spice, I
suspect that somehow, voles have to be related to cockroaches. (I know
they're really not but still....)

Yeah, I gave up on the snake idea. When I moved here there were two
chipmunks, now I go out on the side porch and see 8-12 scatter. They are
SO cute! They love screwing around with the squirrels. They mock fight and
chase each other. I put two whole overripe tomatos out in the back and
had entertainment for three days. The squirrels first tried to drag them
away (fighting over them) then figured out that they had to have them in
smaller pieces and ripped at them. Meanwhile, the chipmunks stood by, counting
on the squirrel's, uh, squirreliness, and waited until the squirrels went
off to chase one another to sneak in and get some tomato.

I love chipmunks. Don't ask me why because I tend to find squirrels a
big nuisance. However, I guess I live in no chipmunk zone in the
Triangle (slang for the Research Triangle Park area of central NC) as I
have only seen three since I moved here to NC 16 years ago.

I imagine that may be true. My neighbors are pretty interesting, though.
But there is no way I am going to see the chipmunks hurt. They're free
entertainment! What did you do about voles, Susan?

Ooooh. You're going to make me say something that I have been avoiding.
I'll have you know I'm knocking on wood, crossing fingers and toes,
kissing a shamrock and just about anything else I can do for luck before
I say the next thing. So far, I haven't had a problem with voles nor
have I seen one in my yard. Oh man, now I've cursed myself! I can just
see them all gearing up, packing up and getting ready to invade...

Susan
shsimko at duke dot edu