Old 18-08-2003, 05:02 PM
Larry Blanchard

Default Black ratsnakes for vole control?

In article , says...

"Scopata Fuori" wrote
Black snakes, in the US, are harmless, beneficial creatures. The only
exception I am aware of, are the notorious cottonmouth snakes, found near
water. Black snakes look scary, especially big ones, but just let them go
their way, and they will not bother you. They won't bother you, in fact,
unless you insist upon bothering them, and they are unable to escape any
other way.

Around here (N. pensinsular Florida) it's something called the black
racer, and what's either a subspecies or a rare color variant called the
indigo racer. Powerful, fast-moving snakes (they don't call them racers
for nothing!), graceful of motion and arguably beautiful, and harmless.

Interestingly, blacksnakes are the only N.A. snake known to chase you.
Only the males in mating season, and it's all bluff, but it's fun to
watch.

Also, they have an antiseptic in their saliva to disinfect their food.
If one bites you with its tiny teeth, the punctures usually heal up in
less than a day. DAMHIKT :-).

I've always liked snakes, but my wife is terrified of them. Oh, well,
she has other redeeming characteristics :-).

--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?