Old 18-08-2003, 05:22 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default Overwintering fish question

I know that I should be enjoying the fish in my pond instead of worrying
about putting them to bed for the winter but.....
I live in the Chicago area. snip
My pond is about 14x16 and about 26" at the deepest spot
which is about 4'x4'. I have ten fantail goldfish ranging in length from 6"
to 9" (plus the 3 babies). Randy

Hi Randy,

Well I have a different answer than the rest. If you have the means to
bring them in, you'll be less worried about them. You say fantails, if any
of those fantails are orandas they should come in regardless. Many times
orandas flip upside down when the temps start cooling off. I don't leave
any of my big fantails out in Zone 7a. I can leave the babies out, but I
have more than 3 out there, some very small, enough make it that other than
one of two I can leave them out with just an airstone to keep a hole open.
~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~