Old 18-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Jay Chan

Default How to Topdress a Lawn?

"Berob" wrote in message . com...
I see all kinds of recommendations for topdressing a lawn when
aerating/seeding a lawn, but I haven't seen anyone explain the best way to
do it. It would be nice if a broadcast spreader would do the job, but I
just don't think that would work. How do you go about (a shovel and
wheelbarrow?) and how much/how deep do you apply it? Thanks.

I saw a TV show called "Ask This Old House" a while ago about showing
people how to spread compost onto a lawn right after aerating it.
Basically it is like this:
- Put compost on a wheel cart.
- Use a deep shovel that is deep rather than wide.
- Put compost onto the shovel.
- If you are right handed, put the handle bar of the shovel into
your left arm pit, and hold the shovel this way, and use your right
hand to spread/boardcast the compost onto the lawn.
- At the end, use a rake to break down all the large pieces.

This works for me. But this can be time consuming and tiring though.

Jay Chan