Old 18-08-2003, 09:40 PM
paghat

Default New to tulips - didn't realize they were not perrenial!

In article , Pelvis Popcan
wrote:

I was surprised to learn that tulip bulbs split apart and form small
bulbs that usually don't flower the following year. I was planning on
planting a bed of tulips this fall, but I'm not sure now knowing that
I will have to replant them every year.

I know that there are perennial tulips, which are gigantic 5-6" bulbs
that don't split for several years, but I really wanted some more
unique colors that aren't available as perennial tulips.

Are there any techniques for growing standard tulip bulbs as
perennials?

It also begs the questions - how are tulip bulbs produced for sale in
the first place?

My tulips bloom every year. I plant 95% species tulips. I am no tulip
expert but I don't think your representation is quite true. But many fancy
hybrid tulips weaken rather than strengthen with each year. Some of the
fancy hybrids perennialize instantly, others fade out & look yes
impressive year by year, & when shopping for varieties you have to choose
carefully if you want them to perennialize. From memory, but I think I
remember this right, if you go for the Darwin hybrids, you'll have big
beauties that perennialize with great ease. Or go my route & stick to
species tulips. Some of them are just as showy as the million hybrids.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"