Old 18-08-2003, 10:59 PM
Janet Baraclough

Default poor sweetcorn crop

The message
from "Druss" contains these words:

I would have thought 8" seperations is not nearly enough, and may be causing
the plants to struggle mine are normally spaced 12-18" apart, and they do
get generous amounts of water round the roots at least once per week, having
said that the first one I harvested this year was still very well set just
the cobs were all dried out, far too much hot weather and not nearly enough
water I reckon.

I'd agree with all that. I give them very well fertilised soil and a
good space for their roots. A thick mulch over the entire bed (chopped
comfrey leaves are good), water in dry weather, and an occasional
generous dose of comfrey tea or diluted wormfarm juice. I find it's
better to limit the cobs to two per plant, once they are fertilised and
starting to swell I cut off the male flower and the top of the plant, to
let more light/sun get to the cobs.

Janet.