Old 19-08-2003, 02:03 AM
Cecil Kimber

Default Microbes an autoclave won't kill

Al,
I also saw that article. It might be a point of concern however when
you consider bacteria like to swap genes BETWEEN SPECIES. I'm more
concerned about the operating theatre than the flasking room. Thing what
that would mean if species 122 (I think that's the number) decides to donate
the genetic material for high temp environments to S. aureus. We would be
in a heap of trouble. Just pointing out that you can't be too careful with
new species of anything! Think of it..."Attack of the Killer Vietnamese
Paphs!!!"
Cec
"Al" wrote in message
Speak for yourself. You have no idea what kind of terrestrial egosystem I
can inhabit. :-) I didn't mean to suggest we worry about them
contaminating our flasks. I just thought it would be amusing to anyone
preparing agar for flasking to contemplate that there is stuff on this
planet that would actually like to live in an autoclave. But you knew
that. What I was wondering while I read the article, and what it didn't
mention, was how long the microbe would live in "our" environment.

Al
tongue in cheek, foot in mouth, head in clouds, nose in air, mind in

gutter
orchids in greenhouse

"Ted Byers" wrote in message
.. .
vents. It is therefore highly unlikely to be present in any terrestrial
ecosystem we can inhabit, and therefore unlikely to be a contaminant to

be
of concern to flaskers and autoclavers.