Old 19-08-2003, 05:32 AM
Nedra

Default New (soft of) pond pics

Nice going, Zzzzk!

I liked reading about it.... good for the brain to streeeetch it
from time to time.

Nedra

"zookeeper" wrote in message
Anne Lurie wrote:
Looks nice! What is an Inuitsuk, anyway? A sort of rock cairn denoting

the
purpose or spirit of a particular place?

I know, I know!!! waving hand rapidly in the air -- VBG
... and the only reason I know is I wanted to ask this question, but at
12:30 am last night I decided to Google it instead. I first ran into a
brick wall using the name Inuitsuk, but did a search for Inuit and stone
pile, and found the name Inuksuk. Here is a simplistic definition from a
"Creative Kids" website: "An inuksuk is a pile of stones arranged in
the likeness of a human being. The Inuit People of the Artic used them
for marking trails, indicating caches of food, nearby people, or helping
in hunting large herds of caribou.

"Every inuksuk is as unique as a finger print because it is built from
the stones at hand. Inuksuk can be small or large; a single rock put in
place; several rocks balanced on top of each other; boulders placed in a
pile; or flat stones stacked."

And this definition is from an Artic Inuit art web site:
"Inuksuit are among the most important objects created by the Inuit who
were the first people to inhabit portions of Alaska, Arctic Canada, and
Greenland. The term Inuksuk (the singular of Inuksuit) means 'to act in
the capacity of a human.' It is an extension of Inuk, meaning 'a human
being.

"These stone figures were placed on the temporal and spiritual

landscapes."

Quite primitive and beautiful! Sounds like a great addition to my future
rock garden!
--
Zk (sig compliments of BV)
3500gal pond, 13 pond piggies