Old 19-08-2003, 10:18 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default Hysteria over Ragwort

In article , Kate Morgan writes:
| snip
| being referred to was OTT in any particular way. (Maybe the original
| post was but it soon developed into quite a sesible discussion)
|
| There was no hysteria in the original post - mine - nor was it OTT,just
| a simple comment about ragwort.
|
| a very level headed non hysterical kate

Hmm. While I agree that the tone wasn't hysterical, I am afraid that
the spin was. To quote it:

Please would you all check your lawns for ragwort, I know it is a time
consuming job but it is a bad year for the nasty weed. I have some small
amounts in my paddock but I have never had it on my lawn before.
I have lost one horse this year - not thro ragwort - and I dont want to
lose another so I say again please check every where

Well, firstly, any ragweed in mown lawns isn't likely to seed.

Secondly, you refer to it as a "nasty weed" and say "check
everywhere". That contains a STRONG implication that you want
people to ELIMINATE it from their gardens.

It wasn't a simple comment - you were asking people to take
action.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.