Old 19-08-2003, 01:02 PM

Default Hysteria over Ragwort

Tom Warner wrote:

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
snip
Secondly, you refer to it as a "nasty weed" and say "check
everywhere". That contains a STRONG implication that you want
people to ELIMINATE it from their gardens.

It wasn't a simple comment - you were asking people to take
action.

So what is wrong with that, it was a request.People dont have to do it
if they dont want to and I did not shout.
kate

Well I for one will not be removing it from the (very small) area of my
garden where it grows.
Its a native plant and supports a lot of native species.
If you keep livestock then get rid of it by all means, but I don't see why
the average garden should pose any risk to you.
If you are worried about it seeding over your land then look no further than
the embankment of your nearest motorway!

.... and anyway the way to *keep* ragwort off pasture is to manage the
pasture properly, it won't colonise good pasture to any significant
extent, it thrives on bare (or nearly bare) land. (which is why we're
having more trouble than usual at the moment because our fields are
much barer than they should be at this time of year, hot weather)

--
Chris Green )