Old 19-08-2003, 02:02 PM
animaux

Default Bees nesting in lawn

There is no way to identify it with a magic crystal ball! You will have to
capture one and bring it to a garden center for identification, or take a
photograph.

On 19 Aug 2003 12:21:34 GMT, pamnot (CbarRose) opined:

Would someone here help identify a social bee that nests in lawns? The bees
look very like honeybees (from a few feet away) in size and coloration (they
are almost certainly not wasps). They aren't particularly aggressive but alas,
yesterday one did sting a toddler who grabbed at it while playing on the grass.
The nest is in a very central and unavoidable place on a neighbor's property.
I'm trying to get information to learn (a) what species these are, and (b) if
there's a way to avoid destroying them. (As much as I hate the thought of
killing bees, these may in fact be best removed from the gene pool for nesting
is such a silly spot as the edge of a front walk.)

Many thanks for any information.
Carol