Old 19-08-2003, 02:02 PM
animaux

Default grasshopper invasion

Of all insects, these are my most reviled. I am petrified of them. I don't
know why, I just am. For the last three spring seasons I've put out NoloBait,
which is a biological control of grasshoppers. I put it out the second I see
the tiny nymphs in the garden. This infection is carried in bran, which
grasshoppers love to eat. I used to have many hundreds, or thousands of
grasshoppers and this year I've encountered about a dozen or so.

The best price on the NoloBait is Barton Springs Garden Center. Check the date
before buying it and buy the freshest batch they sell. This product does not
have a long shelf life.

I sprinkle it around by hand where I have seen grasshoppers en masse before. I
use very little, and I do successional treatments. I start with one go around
the entire property, a week later the same, another week the same...till I'm out
of bait.

It really works. I see a markedly different number of grasshoppers this year.

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 16:40:09 GMT, whit opined:

well not quite an invasion, but in the last few weeks they've done quite
a number on one of my palmetto's, some wisteria, and a few other plants,
but most everything else seems OK. I suspect a deficiency causing them
to go after these plants as we have two palmettos within 5 ft of each
other one got hit pretty hard, one seems unscathed.

The worst of it was when I was out of town for a week, I caught 5 big
hoppers off one of the palmettos in about 5 minutes the day I got back-
they're In a jar and I'm going fishing soon )

Any suggestions on getting a handle on these buggers, yesterday I went
out and had a half dozen more jump out of my way as I walked thru my
yard.

Thanks