Old 19-08-2003, 02:32 PM
Druss

Default Pumpettes

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
I have successfully grown pumpkins for the last few years for my
grandchildren, using the seed saved from a shop-bought pumpkin.
I used the same batch of seed for about 3 years.

Last year I saved the seed from one of mine and have nurtured 2
plants. However I now have 4 huge fat yellowy-orange marrows!
neither pumpkin, marrow or courgette!
Is it possible that last years pumpkins and gold-rush courgettes
crossed and I now have a new hybrid?
What next?

Pam in Bristol

A report last year based in Cholsey Oxon, said that the previous year a show
winning pumpkin had had it's seeds donated to the local school for children
to try their hands at growing pumpkins themselves. When the results grew the
plants were fine, however every single child who'd used the show seed was in
fact growing some sort of marrow/pumpkin hybrid, sounds similar to what you
described, size shape etc are marrow, but the colour is pumpkin. Most
amusing I thought.
Duncan