Old 19-08-2003, 03:12 PM
Pat Meadows

Default Green Tomatoes????

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 12:46:28 GMT, Frogleg
wrote:

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 08:21:23 -0400, Pat Meadows
wrote:

We have the most annoying windows in this house - quite new
ones, installed just before we bought the house. The
window-sills are only about 4" wide AND there's a ridge down
the middle of them, God knows why. NOTHING will go on them.
Nothing.

I do have the big bay window ledge, which is about 8' x 2',
but I cannot use any other window sills.

Sills sloping from the middle, or a ridge poking up in the middle
(weird in either case)?

A ridge poking up from the middle. A sticking-up ridge
along the length of the window sill, in the middle of the
width of the sill. It's not wood: these windows are made
of some sort of composite or plastic, I don't know what.

They're 'integral storm windows' - two layers of glass.
That part is good. And they tip in for cleaning all
surfaces, that part is also good.

Could you shim them somehow? Even double-faced
tape and laths might work. What about an arrangement like those cat
platforms that cantilever from a windowsill? I have one plant shelf
that hangs from the middle of a double-hung (never opened in living
memory) window. It should also be possible to suspend shelves from the
top of a window frame, if you don't mind screwing in a couple of
I-bolts.

The cat-shelf idea would work. I forgot, though - when I
wrote my prior post - that we also have a cat. This
makes plants-on-a-cat-shelf impractical.

The [shelves going across the upper part of the window]
aren't practical either, darn it, because we cover the
insides of most windows with clear plastic in winter (to
save on heating costs).

Hanging plants would work well, though, I'll probably do
that this winter.

Pat