Old 19-08-2003, 03:32 PM

Default Bees nesting in lawn

tell them to fill a gas powered lawn mower or better something emits smoke and sit it
so smoke crosses the area and the bees will get out. Ingrid

pamnot (CbarRose) wrote:

Would someone here help identify a social bee that nests in lawns? The bees
look very like honeybees (from a few feet away) in size and coloration (they
are almost certainly not wasps). They aren't particularly aggressive but alas,
yesterday one did sting a toddler who grabbed at it while playing on the grass.
The nest is in a very central and unavoidable place on a neighbor's property.
I'm trying to get information to learn (a) what species these are, and (b) if
there's a way to avoid destroying them. (As much as I hate the thought of
killing bees, these may in fact be best removed from the gene pool for nesting
is such a silly spot as the edge of a front walk.)

Many thanks for any information.
Carol

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/