Old 19-08-2003, 04:23 PM
Franz Heymann

Default RAGWORT

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
writes:

| I am a little confused about this. I have read in relatively
| respectable locations that the plant spreading along verges etc.
| is normally Oxford ragwort, and that the population of common
| ragwort is fairly stable.
|
| Is that so, and what is the species that normally invades badly
| managed pastures? Whether they are different makes a LOT of
| difference to the methods of control!
|
| Er, why does it affect how you control it? They are closely related
| species and opportunistic in much the same way in badly managed
| pasture I would have thought. They are also susceptible to the same
| herbicides.

Because, if it is Oxford ragwort that is spreading along roads
and if it rarely invades pasture, then controlling the ragwort
by roads is unnecessary. If Oxford ragwort is starting to invade
pasture by the way of road verges, then that needs attention.

You claimed that it was important to know whether an infestation was of
Oxford or Common ragwort.
Your remark has nothing to do with that distinction.

Franz