Old 19-08-2003, 05:12 PM
John T. Jarrett

Default grasshopper invasion

I was spraying with Neem oil mix once a week and that kept them down.
When it got all rainy, I didn't want to spray every other day so I
quit and haven't started back up yet. And they've eaten almost all the
leaves off my Japanese Red Maple, et. al.

They won't eat leaves with Neem on them (it doesn't actually kill the
grasshoppers -- they just go away) and it isn't poisonous to the
animals - unlike about everything else I've tried.

No-Lo bait I've never tried, but I understand it is a preventative and
has to be done before you have them to do any good. Since we have huge
grassy fields only two blocks away, they seem to me to just kinda
swarm across the neighborhood in waves and I don't feel like treating
a whole field at a time. Plus it doesn't get rid of the ones I have
right now.

John

"whit" wrote in message
well not quite an invasion, but in the last few weeks they've done

quite
a number on one of my palmetto's, some wisteria, and a few other

plants,
but most everything else seems OK. I suspect a deficiency causing

them
to go after these plants as we have two palmettos within 5 ft of

each
other one got hit pretty hard, one seems unscathed.

The worst of it was when I was out of town for a week, I caught 5

big
hoppers off one of the palmettos in about 5 minutes the day I got

back-
they're In a jar and I'm going fishing soon )

Any suggestions on getting a handle on these buggers, yesterday I

went
out and had a half dozen more jump out of my way as I walked thru my
yard.

Thanks