Old 19-08-2003, 06:22 PM
Pam

Default New to tulips - didn't realize they were not perrenial!

Frogleg wrote:

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 14:04:10 -0400, Pelvis Popcan
wrote:

I was surprised to learn that tulip bulbs split apart and form small
bulbs that usually don't flower the following year. I was planning on
planting a bed of tulips this fall, but I'm not sure now knowing that
I will have to replant them every year.

I know that there are perennial tulips, which are gigantic 5-6" bulbs
that don't split for several years, but I really wanted some more
unique colors that aren't available as perennial tulips.

My experience has been that while some tulips re-bloom for a year or
possibly 2, they mostly disappear. Not at all like daffodils, which
reliably multiply in place. Every year, I have *leaves* coming up,
usually only 1 or 2, but not blooms. I never paid attention to whether
they were advertised as perennial or not, and just chose from the
pretty pictures. :-) Zone 7b.

It also begs the questions - how are tulip bulbs produced for sale in
the first place?

Very good question. Hope someone knows the answer.

Tulips common to our gardens in the present time are very highly
hybridized from the species that was their parentage. That combined with
the fact that most gardens do not provide conditions ideal for their long
term viability is why they appear to be less perennial in their culture
than we would like. The secret to successful perennializing is exceptional
drainage, virtually no summer moisture, and sufficient cold periods
through the winter. Species tulips are reliably perennial, the hybrids
much less so, although I have some that have continued to produce for at
least 10 years now, although their strength and numbers fade each season.

I live in one of the largest tulip bulb producing areas of the world - we
actually generate more tulip bulbs in the Skagit Valley of Washington
State than are grown in Holland. Heck, we even ship 'em to Holland! The
bulbs are dug each year after the foliage dies back, are sorted by size
and age, kept in dry storage over the summer and are replanted (by machine
- we are talking 100's of acres here) each fall. Bulbs that are harvested
for sale are three to five years old, so those little baby bulbs you find
if you dig up your own tulips do indeed mature to full size, flower
producing bulbs PROVIDED they get the right conditions and care. Unlike
narcissus, tulip bulbs do not split (or shouldn't - if they split you
have damaged them in digging) or produce multiple "noses"- they do produce
offsets or baby bulbs each year which is what is grown on by the growers
to produce full size bulbs.

pam - gardengal