Old 19-08-2003, 06:22 PM
Mary Fisher

Default Hysteria over Ragwort

Well, firstly, any ragweed in mown lawns isn't likely to seed.

We don't have a lawn - or any grass (the hens have made sure of that) but I
was surprised to see a healthy and beautiful specimen of ragwort among the
few of our plants which aren't vegetables. I waited until it had finished
flowering - it's really stunning - and then pulled it up.

But I don't really know why ...

Secondly, you refer to it as a "nasty weed" and say "check
everywhere". That contains a STRONG implication that you want
people to ELIMINATE it from their gardens.

I didn't uproot it as a response to that post and I still can't explain why
I pulled it up. Having grown once I assume it will do so again, among the
feverfew, brambles and other things considered undesirable. I promise not to
eliminate it from our garden.

I'm not being sarcastic, I mean it.

Mary