Old 19-08-2003, 06:42 PM
Bill Oliver

Default Bees nesting in lawn

In article ,
CbarRose wrote:
Would someone here help identify a social bee that nests in lawns? The bees
look very like honeybees (from a few feet away) in size and coloration (they
are almost certainly not wasps). They aren't particularly aggressive but alas,
yesterday one did sting a toddler who grabbed at it while playing on the grass.
The nest is in a very central and unavoidable place on a neighbor's property.
I'm trying to get information to learn (a) what species these are, and (b) if
there's a way to avoid destroying them. (As much as I hate the thought of
killing bees, these may in fact be best removed from the gene pool for nesting
is such a silly spot as the edge of a front walk.)

Many thanks for any information.
Carol

How social? According to a number of sites, there are a number of
ground-nesting bees, and while most are *relatively* solitary,
they can nest in groups.

See:

ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2143.html

Another site claims that Africanized honeybees will
nest in the ground:

http://www.ci.pasadena.ca.us/publich..._bee_facts.asp

billo