Old 20-08-2003, 03:42 AM
CbarRose

Default Bees nesting in lawn

(Beecrofter) wrote:

Thank you for a reasonable suggestion, but these bees are swarming around

the
nest area and it wouldn't be possible to capture one. I realize the
identification I gave is vague; I guess I'm just looking to narrow down

the
possibilities so I can do some more online research. I've tried searching

for
"ground-nesting social bees" and the like, and have had lots of hits but

no
real means of identification. (And it may not matter.....!)

By the way, I'm in the northeastern USA, if that helps with anything.

Thanks again,
Carol

Can you describe it in more detail. coloration,flight,size,etc?

The bees are 1/2 - 3/4 inches in length (they aren't uniform in size), and more
round than slender. The abdomen is dark, the thorax is yellow with some black.
(I know, pretty lousy description!) Several I saw today going into the nest
hole had pollen baskets. The local beekeeper who was called to the location
could only ascertain that they were NOT honeybees (which we knew, of course)
and were bees rather than wasps (which we also knew). Their behavior seems
exactly that of the ground-nesting bumble bees whose description I quoted in a
overall, just the thorax).

I'll have to wait until morning to get a better look, now that you've asked the
questions, unless you can make a determination now. (I'm not even sure they'll
still be there, unfortunately.)

Many thanks!
Carol