Old 20-08-2003, 03:44 AM
Martin

Default [IBC] rooting over rocks question

You're actually asking 2 questions. Root Over Rock procedure is one thing,
and creating air roots, another.
There are several ways to create a Root Over Rock bonsai. The one I like
best is to fasten the roots to the rock with strips of raffia, then planting
the combination in a prepared bed for a year. When planting, place a flat
tray or tile under the roots in order to keep them from penetrating too
deeply into the soil. The folowing year, if you find that the roots have
"taken" to the rock, move the planting to a bonsai tray. If the roots are
still not beginning to adhere to the rock, place it back in the ground for
another year. Sometimes it even takes a third year. Patience!
Aerial root growth in places like South Florida is easy. The roots find
their own way down. If you're in the North, however, some people use
plastic tubing around each air root to guide them down to the soil. I have
never seen this work, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. In any case,
be prepared for a long wait.
Marty