Old 20-08-2003, 04:02 AM
TeaLady (Mari C.)

Default Grasshoppers & garlic butter

Lon Stowell wrote in
:

Approximately 8/18/03 22:44, Fito uttered for posterity:

"John Hall" wrote in message
news
Yesterday I heard (from an acquaintance of a friend, so
cannot vouch for the veracity, merely relate it as told to
me) that someone near here accidentally dropped a container
of garlic butter, which popped open and splattered the
contents on the ground. He was amazed to see, several minutes
later, hundreds of grasshoppers eagerly eating it.

He was even more amazed to see, about fifteen minutes later,
hundreds of dead grasshoppers. Apparently the Alberta
Agricultural Research organisation (IIRC) is following up on
this.

snip
--
John W Hall
Cochrane, Alberta, Canada.

I crossposted this to a relevant ng in hopes that someone
there may know. Hope no one minds too much.

There are organic gardening sites claiming that garlic
extract spray has some deterrent effect on grasshoppers,
however the effect doesn't appear to be toxic. Merely
that the non-gourmand grasshoppers would be encouraged
to seek other foods. Strongly suspect that this tactic
is useless on italian and/or asian grasshoppers.

There *are* several recipes for sauteing the little buggers
in garlic butter.

Maybe the poster's friend's buddy didn't see the giant saute pan...

--
Tea"Prefer them coated in dark chocolat, so I can't see them"Lady

"Stated to me for a fact. I only tell it as I got it. I am
willing to believe it. I can believe anything." Sam Clemens

Mari Conroy