Old 20-08-2003, 05:22 AM

Default Allergy to Bt cotton?

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 03:23:34 GMT, Mooshie peas
wrote:

On 18 Aug 2003 23:01:13 GMT, Brian Sandle
posted:

Brian Sandle wrote:

On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 10:11:25 +1200
Brian Harmer
wrote:
*****
NO SPRAY WORRIES SAYS HEALTH MINISTRY
-------------------------------------

The Ministry of Health says it is not yet concerned over the health
effects of the Painted Apple Moth spraying programme - despite
receiving more than 3000 complaints. Most of the concerns relate to
asthma and irritation to eyes, nose and throat from the spray used in
Auckland. Around 1100 people have taken these complaints to a doctor
associated with the Painted Apple Moth support service. Director of
Public Health, Colin Tukuitonga will keep a watching brief on the
programme and raise concerns with the Ministry of Agriculture and
Forestry if they are deemed serious enough.
*****

The spray is Bt.

Bt has been genetically engineered into cotton plants in an attempt to
resist the boll weevil, and they are quite widely planted.

Would the lint from Bt cotton undergarments cause any people more lung/eye
irritation than non-Bt cotton?

I think we do get nutrition through our lungs. Some things are directly
absorbed and some broken down a bit?

If Bt cotton is in the lungs will there be byssinosis more frequently than
for non-Bt?

This reminds me of the story I read long time ago of the aerial crop
duster who thoroughly cleaned his tanks and filled up with water
flavoured with dark grape juice (toxically purple). He then
deliberately oversprayed a residential area, and the influx of
diseased and dying residents was overwhelming

And cotton crops are often sprayed to kill the leaves prior to the
bolls being harvested.

Cath