Old 20-08-2003, 07:02 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default pond filter

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 22:31:47 GMT, MattR wrote:

Check this page: http://www.koiclubsandiego.org/GRENH2O.html

Well, yea... that is the same one I read several years ago and no mention
of higher plant forms, he does call different algaes higher plants forms
than suspended algae. And he does qualify at the bottom of the article that
he is talking about "koi ponds". Many of us here when we talk "more plants"
we mean the lilies, marginals, submerged, etc. not string algaes. ;o) In a
mixture of koi/goldfish & water gardens. That's why they call us the Turtle
& Tadpole group. ;o)

"THERE IS SOME COMPONENT IN CLEAR ESTABLISHED POND WATER THAT IS TOXIC
TO THE BLOOM ALGAE."

He's talking about a possible inhibitor between species. Similar to
sunflower seed hulls, ever notice that nothing grows under a sunflower seed
bird feeder, except maybe sunflowers? Inhibitors (though I think there is
another name for it). Happens under walnut trees too, it's not just a lack
of water thing.

He says the added algicide is a byproduct of some type of bacteria (not
the kind that removes ammonia) that feeds on dead algae cells. If this
is true

But see, his hunches/theories aren't any more true than the belief here
that more plants and NOT scrubbing the string algae off the sides of the
pond does the same thing. A combo of inhibitor plus removal of nutrients
perhaps?

It would be helpful if we could quantify some of these ideas.

Well I guess we don't do a very good job of quantifying because we're
afraid that if we tell them how many plants we really think they need, it
will scare them right out of the hobby. ;o) So we usually say, buy as many
as one can afford, barter, or gets snips off of. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a