Old 20-08-2003, 07:42 AM
Tumbleweed

Default ants

"tony" wrote in message
Hi All,
Can anyone suggest a solution to a problem I have, it's ants. I have ants
eating my strawberries, by plums are infested with them as are my apples

and
pears.
I have used grease bands on the fruit trees and stakes to keep the little
blighters off but they are still there.
My compost heaps are also infested with them and although I turn them
regularly this doesn't seem to deter them.
HELP!!!
Tony

IME they can be reduced or eliminated in local areas by heavy watering. They
like it dry. I'm sure many here have said if you have ants in your compost
its too dry.
I've got rid (For the time being anyway) of a large establishment of ants on
a part of my lawn by watering it every day. Not with a sprinkler but with
the hose running slowly onto the affected areas. The soil is very damp but
not waterlogged an dteh ants are gone. It took 3 weeks though and I'm sure
if I dont occassionally water they'll be back.

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)