Old 20-08-2003, 09:32 AM
Torsten Brinch

Default biotech & famine

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 02:37:06 GMT, Mooshie peas
wrote:

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 11:32:40 +0200, Torsten Brinch
posted:

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 09:00:11 GMT, "Gordon Couger"
wrote:
GM seeds can be develop in a short time

Myth: Genetic engineering reduces development time.

This misunderstanding is based on the assumption that the seed
developer has achieved the goal as soon as they know the gene and can
deliver it into the plant, where as conventional breeding can take
generations to achieve a goal because of the need to eliminate
undesirable traits.

So can yo give us an example of a trait that was brought about quickly
by conventional breading, and a similar trait that was delayed by GM?

Why should I. The contention above, which you are apparently reacting
to, may be true whether or not I can give you such an example.

Fact: After fifteen years of research and development
experience, it has become apparent that genetic modification can
increase development time.

Development time of what?

Why ask, it is quite clear from the context.

Have two identical traits been developed by
conventional and GM techniques so this comparison that you claim can
be made?

Now, I should say, I am not the originator of any claim made around
here. I am quoting almost verbatim from the response of Novartis
Australasia to the House of Representatives Standing Committee on
Primary Industries and Regional Services' invitation for submissions
to the Inquiry into Primary Producer Access to Gene Technology.

It was apparently important to Novartis to let the committee know that
in their experience as a major global seed developer, shortened
development time of new varieties is not generally among the benefits
offered by GM technology -- and that consequently claims of short
development time for GM seeds should not be used to promote it.

The necessary laboratory work is
complementary to, not a substitute for field breeding work.
The actual plant breeding work in genetically modified
varieties is the same as for conventional varieties, but
before this breeding work can start, there is the need for
extensive molecular development.

It is generally more expensive to develop genetically
modified varieties and bring them to market than
conventional varieties, because of the additional research
and development work, and additional regulatory
requirements.

But this has little to do with speed -- your original claim.

Mwuahahahaha. Additional research and development work that
does not take additional time?