Old 20-08-2003, 11:12 AM
Gordon Couger

Default Allergy to Bt cotton?

"Brian Sandle" wrote in message
Bt has been genetically engineered into cotton plants in an attempt to
resist the boll weevil, and they are quite widely planted.

It is for the boll worm not the weevil. The weeviel is reltivly easy to
conrol pest as it only feeds on cotton and proper management and a spraying
in the fall to reduce the over winter weevil and a spray in the spring to
catch any you missed and scouting wiht traps has effectivly made them a non
problem in two or three year every where as good faith effort has been made.

The boll worm or corn ear worm depending on what crop it is eating eats
almost any thing and can be held in bay in some cases by natrual preditors
but if you have to spray in the fruiting season for boll weevil you run the
risk or wiping out the benificials an spraying every 4 to 7 days for the
rest of the season for the boll worm.

Get your bugs right.

Would the lint from Bt cotton undergarments cause any people more

lung/eye
irritation than non-Bt cotton?

There is no protien in cotton fiber, It is all celulose.

I think we do get nutrition through our lungs. Some things are directly
absorbed and some broken down a bit?

If Bt cotton is in the lungs will there be byssinosis more frequently than
for non-Bt?

If you get very much cotton in your lungs smaller than two microns you have
problems do a search on ginners lung. The BT protein would be broken down by
the body while the cotton fiber would not be.

You need better wind mills.

Gordon